Why And How To Make Your Own Hummus
The ever versatile Hummus is made from wonderful chickpeas.
Chickpeas are loaded with fibre and nutrients, such as vitamin B6, choline, zinc, copper and selenium. These nutrients help you look after your nervous system, immune system and hormone health.
Selenium and zinc together boost your detoxification capacity too, even the detoxification of heavy metals, such as mercury. (Find out more about my 3-week Detox)
Make this recipe according to your personal taste. Some prefer a lot of garlic, others don’t. Some enjoy a little lemon juice or cumin and others prefer much more.
- 1 cup of boiled or cooked chickpeas
- Add either half or a whole clove of garlic (some people add 2, this is taste dependent)
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of tahini paste
- 2-4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Quite a lot of olive oil
- You can cook the chickpeas yourself to avoid using tinned goods.
- Soak your cup of chickpeas in water overnight or for at least 4-8 hours
- Cook them as you like for about an hour and then they are ready!
Tip: I also boil a lot of chickpeas and then freeze them in small glass jars.
- Blend until smooth or chunky to your liking. If the consistency is wrong and it’s not blending well, add more olive oil or lemon juice.
Taste and enjoy!