- Gargle with saltwater: Dissolve half a teaspoon of salt in warm water and gargle several times a day.
This has been shown in studies to help reduce swelling and pain, loosen mucus and help flush out harmful bacteria from the throat.
- Add a drop of tea tree oil to the mix to make your saltwater gargle even more effective!
- Use Vinceel throat spray 3-5 times a day. If you go to bed with a sore throat, keep the spray next to your bed and use it if you wake up during the night.
- Take 20-100mg of zinc for a few days. You can take 20-50mg long term, but can go up to 100mg a day for a few days to help stop an infection. Use in divided doses during the day.
- Take 1000mg of Vitamin C every 2 hours.
- Add a natural infection fighter, such as Olive leaf extract or Echinacea/Goldenseal/Cat`s Claw complex. Olive leaf tincture is particularly effective and soothing for a sore throat. Take 10 drops every 2 hours. You can also keep it next to your bed at night and take 10 drops whenever you wake up with a sore throat.
- If you have a post-nasal drip, you need to add a nasal spray to help heal the throat! Use a saline spray or Euphorbium Nasal Spray.
- It can happen that a sore throat gets out of hand and becomes extremely sore and swollen. Anti-inflammatory medications are then often given. Standard anti-inflammatories help reduce the pain and swelling, but also weaken the immune system. You do need to have the throat looked at by a medical practitioner, but you could rather try and use enzymes, such as Bromelain or Serrapeptase, which can be very effective in lessening the inflammation while at the same time giving the immune system a boost. Enzymes need to be taken on an empty stomach and could also be taken even in the middle of the night! If you use Serrapeptase for a sore throat you can use 2×2 daily.
Special tips for kids and toddlers:
Zinc: Animal Parade Zinc or Mineralife Zinc.
Vitamin C: Animal Parade Vitamin C.
Natural infection fighter: Olive leaf drops in water/tea all day long. Silver/Colloidal silver can also be used as a natural infection fighter, but not for longer than a week or two at a time.
Soothing rooibos tea or herbal teas all day.
Important note for kids:
Dosages must be adapted according to age and weight under the supervision of a health practitioner.
These tips do not apply to babies. Babies always need to be seen by a healthcare practitioner.
Please feel free to contact us for more information on usage or for contact details of health practitioners in your area.